Thursday 23 February 2012

Chilli con Carne

We eat a lot of chilli con carne so I thought I'd give it a go. It was really yummy, I'm dead proud :) It was actually meant to be for a do on Sunday but Steve got home before I could hide it in the freezer and commandeered it. Probably just as well because I polished off Vienna's stew yesterday and she'll want something nice and hearty after swimming tomorrow. It's really easy, but if you have a bit of time the night before I'd probably do it then. By the way, this counts as 2 of your 5 a day. I  know, I didn't believe it either.


Ingredients:
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 red chillis, deseeded and chopped
  • 2 tbsp tomato puree
  • 500g mince
  • 1 1/2 cans chopped tomatoes
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • pinch of black pepper (to taste)
Serves: 3

Method:
  1. Fry the onion until soft, then add the garlic and fry for 3 minutes. Add the chilli and cook for another few minutes, stirring constantly (you don't need oil because the mince is fatty enough and it will make it a bit too oily if you do)
  2. Add the mince and properly brown. Drain the excess fat then stir in the tomato puree until the mince is all evenly coated.
  3. Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, oregano and season with pepper to taste.
  4. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Notes:
  • made me feel a lot less poorly after snaffooing this...!

No comments:

Post a Comment