Sunday 8 April 2012

Freaky Friday Curry

I'll be honest, this one was a bit Oh Mama, hot hot. You can all blame Dinesh for that. He's my friend Hapi's friend and once made a comment on my deseeding a chilli for a recipe so I thought I'd try it with the seeds this time. Vienna didn't really appreciate it. I could see why.


I've since made it and adjusted the curry thermostat and she gave me a look as if to say "do you think I'm daft, mummy?" but she did eat it. I've kept the original pictures though because the updated one looked the same.

Ingredients

  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp coriander, ground
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tbsp tomato puree
  • 1 chilli (seeds in if you're mad, deseeded otherwise)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1 large potato (as in, a normal potato)
  • 1 large sweet potato (as in, a knobbly mutant potato)
  • half a suede
  • 3 salad tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 parsnip
  • 1 carrot
Method
  1. Parboil the parsnip, carrot, potatoes and suede (a posh technical term I learnt from my mum which means partly boil... or for about 10-15 mins).
  2. While that's doing, fry the spices, then the onion, garlic, chilli and mix in the tomato puree.
  3. Gradually stir in the coconut milk and simmer for a few minutes until the root veg is done parboiling away.
  4. Add the parsnip, potatoes, suede, carrot and tomatoes, and leave to simmer for about 20 mins.

I gave Vienna an orange with hers and the juices did help ease the spice of the original version a bit (tip there!). Also, teaspoon of cheese spread. Works wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment