Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Trick to Chicken

I've just made a pretty decent stew for lunch today which I'll probably post later. It had chicken in it and I have such a love-hate relationship with chicken that I thought this would be a good place to kick things off with.

I love chicken. I don't eat red meat so it's one of my only sources of protein. Vienna likes it too, but I really hate actually COOKING the chicken because whenever I've done it in the past it comes out black on the outside and pink on the inside. Ach. Mainly that's because I get impatient, turn the heat up full then blast the stuffand wonder why it hasn't cooked properly (btw because the heat cooks the outside... or chargrills in my case...but hasn't had time to cook the inside yet- like when a recipe says to 'seal' the meat, that's kind of the same thing) but it's come to the point where I've had to work out a system to cooking chicken. You can't give a baby uncooked chicken, that's just daft. I think it would be a useful thing to share because it comes out really nice each time now. Yeeaahh :D

What you do is stick the grill on a low-medium heat (mine's an integrated one so if you have one of those I'd stick it on 150C). Let it warm up for a bit then pop the meat in the grill and make sure it's right under. Cook it for 8 mins, then turn it and cook for another 8 mins, turn it back to the first side and cook for 6 mins, then do the second side for another 6 mins. Done.

When you test it I don't find it helpful to "pierce it and see if the juices run clear" because I can never tell so I just pull it apart in a few places and check for pink bits. Much more accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment