Thursday 23 February 2012

Poorly Tummies, Here...

Today we are having cheese on toast for tea with baby carrots, sweetcorn, beans and mangetout because Mummy is feeling very poorly and, to be honest, cannot be bothered to braise mutton or fillet fish (not that I would anyway). Good thing I will never ever have to use the phrase "here comes the aeroplane!" because frankly I don't know how people with fussy children have the energy. Vienna's quite happily munching on a bean at the minute, so I thought seeing as I've finished mine, this would be a good time to talk a bit more about why she eats the way she does.

By the way, the weather is really nice today. Thought I'd mention.

As you might have guessed, I have a massive thing about "baby" food. The problem I have is that I can't eat it (well I can but I'd rather eat glass to be honest) so if I bought it out of a jar I'd spend on average 80p per meal for something that will get smooshed everywhere except in my daughter's mouth.  I'm not good at maths but that works out to be... a lot. And I'd have to do separate meals for her and us which takes time I don't have. When I was pregnant I said I'd just blend up proper food that we'd cooked and give her that, but then she started teething fairly early and the lady who runs my baby groups suggested baby-led feeding.

Don't get me wrong, I know I talk a bit posh and I know the difference between a quince spoon and a soup spoon (and I know what quince is) but I'm not one of those posh mums with a fancy new travel system, all the latest gadgets and high-tech toys, and a wardrobe full of Maman Jo Bebe. And I don't think I'm an "attachment" parent either because I don't actually know what one of those is.

I just like the idea that if you give your baby whole solid food then it makes mealtime more fun (because they eat the same food as you so they get to join in), helps their speech and hand-eye coordination, reduces the chances of them being obese as a child, makes them 10 times less likely to choke, helps with teething (not in our case...) and encourages them to make choices and preferences. And it works out cheaper. Win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment